Monday, October 13, 2008

Travel by bus...

For the first time since September 2005, I rode the big Grey Dog (aka Greyhound) this weekend. When I read Ticket to Ride I remember thinking I was glad Greyhound in Australia was a far higher quality than it here in the US, and I really didn't expect to ever ride it here. That said, I also didn't feel like driving to and from Boston on a holiday weekend and didn't want to have to go get my car. So bus options it was.

Originally intended to take one of the cheap buses: MegaBus, Bolt, etc. -- higher quality than Fung Wah, but cheaper than Peter Pan, Greyhound, etc. but I'd left it too long to confirm my plans and they weren't any cheaper. I booked through Peter Pan and Saturday AM was a Pan bus, but today's return was on Greyhound.

Port Authority on Saturday morning was _interesting_ as was the bus crowd. I got an aisle seat across from the bathroom -- says all you need to know. I slept almost the whole ride so it was no big deal. Today was a nicer, less crowded bus. Younger crowd.

Neither bus was fitted with TVs, which were a mainstay on the Australian routes. We stopped at a rest stop on the way back to NY tonight -- that was definitely reminiscent. I almost was looking for meat pies and sausage rolls!

No comments: